Unnofficial Guitar Hero forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Unnofficial Guitar Hero forum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2007 was 10,000 years ago
Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2019 5:54 pm by Jakeybro

» WHO KICKED ME?
Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 6:00 am by Toki

» List of Antivirus companies
Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:56 pm by Toki

» Well
Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:52 pm by Toki

» AVENGE ME, SIMBA!! LIST!!
Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 12:44 pm by Jakeybro

» Enter sandman
Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 12:23 pm by Jakeybro

» WTF?
Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 12:19 pm by Jakeybro

» the " we hate RAWK thread".
Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 12:13 pm by Jakeybro

» The George Lopez show
Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 12:10 pm by Jakeybro

Keywords
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum

Tastes don't change , only perceptions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony777

Tastes don't change , only perceptions Empty
PostSubject: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 6:51 am

This is my insight to music.

I have been listening to music my entire life , more so in the past 4 years ever since I quit skateboarding and no longer have that taking up all my time.

I have liked literally something or another from one genre or another at any given point , I'm sure you all have as well.

However after an extremely long time of listening to assorted music , and growing as a person I have realized something.

Your tastes never actually change , only your perception of the band/artist(s) does.

It's an insecurity a ton of people seem to have. Maybe they once listened to rap , pop .... "emo" , etc.

But then one day they decided to stop because of an insecurity with self image.

The refusal to listen to things you once loved , is merely an insecurity about your self image , alot of people are trying to keep a certain "image" about themselves. Thus they shut out certain things , music being one of these things.

The way a band looks/dresses, seems to cause insecurities within people , for instance : Rappers wear baggy clothes and all that lame stuff , Disco people wore platform shoes and sparkly pants , emo bands wear tight as hell clothes and dye their hair black. This causes an insecurity within most people, as they feel they are approving of those images by condoning the music.

Anyway what I'm saying here is , if you are just honest with yourself... you will find that old music you once liked... is STILL enjoyable , and you may even find yourself hating some bands you THINK you like. Subconciously lots of people listen to certain music or act a certain way so that they seem what their brain deems as cool.

Be honest with yourself , and you may find yourself hating some of those "cool" bands and loving some of those "lame" bands , and "lame" no-guitar music.

Trust me I know what I'm saying , I've gone through all of this personally and I just felt I should point this out to all of you. Anyone who is not ignorant can truly see my point here.

Whether or not you ever outgrow your own insecurities about music and self image relation, is up to you. Don't lie to yourself.

I can provide NUMEROUS and nearly UNENDING examples of this entire subject upon request.

Be real with yourself don't BS just to look "cool".

Edit: Btw this didn't JUST occur to me... I just decided to finally put it into words and tell you people cheers
Back to top Go down
hotsnakes
Pretty sexy.
hotsnakes

Male
Number of posts : 407
Favorite Admin : me, n00b
Humor : Dane Cook + Ron White ftw
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 7:29 am

I actually like Linkin Park :O
Back to top Go down
Tony777

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 7:32 am

hotsnakes wrote:

cheers :

YOU WIN

You win for not being ashamed of certain bands like them Hoo-Rah
Back to top Go down
hotsnakes
Pretty sexy.
hotsnakes

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 7:35 am

Tony wrote:
hotsnakes wrote:

cheers :

YOU WIN

You win for not being ashamed of certain bands like them Hoo-Rah

Yeah, they aren't the best band ever, but I like them some. At my school, you'd be made fun of MORE for liking Stevie Ray Vaughan over Linkin Park.

me: srv pwns.
wigger: MaN dAtZ oLd MyOoZiK!
emo: AfI fTw!
other stereotype: old music sucks lol
Back to top Go down
Tony777

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 7:38 am

Just admitting stuff like that is the kind of honesty people should have I mean.... everyone runs around hating on certain bands just because its the "cool" thing to do lol

Once... there was a MCR thread... and it turned out everyone secretly liked them and only pretended not to... lol pretty funny

Everyone should just be honest I mean... what does it hurt to like something? It doesn't :O!
Back to top Go down
hotsnakes
Pretty sexy.
hotsnakes

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 7:40 am

Tony wrote:
Just admitting stuff like that is the kind of honesty people should have I mean.... everyone runs around hating on certain bands just because its the "cool" thing to do lol

Once... there was a MCR thread... and it turned out everyone secretly liked them and only pretended not to... lol pretty funny

Everyone should just be honest I mean... what does it hurt to like something? It doesn't :O!

I ACTUALLY don't like MCR/Fall Out Boy/P!ATD/AFI.
Back to top Go down
Tony777

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 7:42 am

hotsnakes on a plane wrote:
Tony wrote:

I ACTUALLY don't like MCR/Fall Out Boy/P!ATD/AFI.

Well I never said you did... I never said I did.... I like FOB and AFI , MCR is ok... and P!ATD can kiss my ass , but that's not the point. XD
Back to top Go down
hotsnakes
Pretty sexy.
hotsnakes

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 7:42 am

GO POST IN THE DINOSAUR JR THREAD.

WATCH THE VIDS.

NOOB.

(and i know you never said i like them, just saying it.)
Back to top Go down
Stairway

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 10:15 am

Tony wrote:
Once... there was a MCR thread... and it turned out everyone secretly liked them and only pretended not to...

I never pretended not to. I even put HFH on my list.
Back to top Go down
7 likes

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 10:20 am

i LOVE squeeze and jo jackson. there, i said it. and most new wave
Back to top Go down
Stairway

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 10:20 am

I liked I Ran and We Got the Beat.
Back to top Go down
7 likes

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 10:22 am

Jakeycakes wrote:

me 2. ive always loved i ran.
Back to top Go down
Glamy
Teh Sexy Pirate
Glamy

Male
Number of posts : 209
Favorite Admin : Job: Paper Boy. Hobbies- Piano, guitar, french horn, MTG, Guitar Hero, myself...
Humor : What happens in Alabama stays in the family.
Registration date : 2007-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 10:37 am

Well obviously I don't have insecurities towards how a band dresses. I mean I've stated I'm a glam rock fan MANY MANY MANY times and they're known for wearing drag, weird suits, just everything but that never stopped the music from being superb.

Also I never pretended not to like MCR, I just haven't bothered to get an album because there's still so much I need to get. Right now my focus is on getting some stuff by Slade.

As for I Ran and We Got The Beat, they're okay songs, not my favorites in the game, but they're not bad. I don't really dislike much in the game except for the rendition of Ballroom Blitz.
Back to top Go down
hotsnakes
Pretty sexy.
hotsnakes

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Jakeycakes wrote:

I Ran pwns. We Got The Beat is good too.

edit: I also love the song Feel Good Inc.
Back to top Go down
Jinzo

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 3:41 pm

Jinzo's Approch:

Growing Up, I listened to Country. Now, it has become annoying to me, now that I've gotten used to other things, but there are a few Country songs I still enjoy....
So, in this instance, my view about "image" didn't change. I actually changed my taste.

I started stereotyping MCR around 1 year ago...
And then I actually listened to it, and realized I had just wasted my precious time listening to them. I thoroughly DO NOT enjoy them.

I Ran gets annoying after a while, but it is enjoyable. We Got The Beat is good too. The Marching Band I'm in is doing an 80s show and we're playing We Got The Beat. In the same show we're playing Stray Cat Strut. I can't wait.

And, Glamy, I agree about Ballroom Blitz. I liked the original much better.
Back to top Go down
Tony777

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 5:00 pm

Jinzo wrote:
Jinzo's Approch:

Growing Up, I listened to Country. Now, it has become annoying to me, now that I've gotten used to other things, but there are a few Country songs I still enjoy....
So, in this instance, my view about "image" didn't change. I actually changed my taste.

No... had you heard boston and etc 5 years ago you would have just never liked country in the 1st place.

I'm kinda saying... if you like something now you would have liked it years ago if you knew it existed too
Back to top Go down
Stairway

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 5:01 pm

I used to hate Megadeth, now I really like them. Explain that one.
Back to top Go down
Jinzo

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 5:11 pm

Tony wrote:
Jinzo wrote:
Jinzo's Approch:

No... had you heard boston and etc 5 years ago you would have just never liked country in the 1st place.

I'm kinda saying... if you like something now you would have liked it years ago if you knew it existed too

Ok, say there is type of music that aliens listen to. No one on earth has ever made this type of music or have heard of it before. The aliens come to earth and let people listen to their music. A lot of people start listening to the music on a daily basis and it become their favorite music. Now say that one of these humans who enjoy the alien music used to love Rap, and now can't stand to listen to it because it just isn't the same as the Alien Music. You're saying that this is not changing tastes?
Back to top Go down
Tony777

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 5:36 pm

Jinzo wrote:
Tony wrote:
Jinzo wrote:
Jinzo's Approch:

Ok, say there is type of music that aliens listen to. No one on earth has ever made this type of music or have heard of it before. The aliens come to earth and let people listen to their music. A lot of people start listening to the music on a daily basis and it become their favorite music. Now say that one of these humans who enjoy the alien music used to love Rap, and now can't stand to listen to it because it just isn't the same as the Alien Music. You're saying that this is not changing tastes?

I'm saying that in that situation the people would not find their old rap music UNBEARABLE just because it pales in comparisson... obviosly you can get new favorites and get sick of things
Back to top Go down
Tony777

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 12:28 pm

Don Julie wrote:
I used to hate Megadeth, now I really like them. Explain that one.

You like them because your idea of music was warped to : if it has technically good guitar its good music

K I explained cheers
Back to top Go down
Jakeybro
Shredder
Shredder
Jakeybro

Male
Number of posts : 87
Favorite Admin : N/A
Humor : Bile
Registration date : 2008-07-12

ITS A YOU! hu u iz
Class: Mario Twin
Weapon: Big Maring
Race: Daytona 500

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Warped = changed
Fail
Back to top Go down
Jakeybro
Shredder
Shredder
Jakeybro

Male
Number of posts : 87
Favorite Admin : N/A
Humor : Bile
Registration date : 2008-07-12

ITS A YOU! hu u iz
Class: Mario Twin
Weapon: Big Maring
Race: Daytona 500

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 8:10 am

About a year later, I realise that Tony was right.
I used to be a huge metalhead, but now I listen to mainly alternative rock. However, I still enjoy most of what I'd listened to previously. This is because my music taste has not changed, only how I perceive these genres, as I have discovered that alternative rock is generally more varied and interesting, while still being pretty I want peewee03 to have my babies rockin'.
I'm sorry Tony. You were right.
R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tastes don't change , only perceptions   Tastes don't change , only perceptions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tastes don't change , only perceptions
Page 1 of 1